Quick reference for 5e D&D racial stat bonuses

I’m really liking 5th Edition so far, although I’m just at the “reading the Players’ Handbook” stage. I was surprised by the lack of a quick reference chart for racial stat bonuses in the book, and on the Web. So I made one.

In case anyone else finds it handy, here’s a link to the Google Doc.

Looking it over, I’m struck by a few interesting things:

• There are 5 choices with +2 to Dex, but they’re really just 2 races (Elf and Halfling)
  • Three races (Mountain Dwarf, Dragonborn and Half-Orc) have +2 to Strength
  • Only Dwarves have +2 Con
  • Only Gnomes have +2 Int
  • Nobody has +2 to Wisdom. That kind of hoses Clerics a bit, but I think it may be a deliberate choice to make them playable for any race.

[Update 4/12/17: If you want access to the Google Doc to edit it, please post a comment here and let me know what you want to change.]

About Kevin Matheny

Kevin is a dad, a gamer, and a lifelong reader of SF, Fantasy and comic books. When he can tear himself away from alternate worlds, he works to make this one better by helping his clients get better at using Agile methods.

19 thoughts on “Quick reference for 5e D&D racial stat bonuses

1. Steve

Love the GoogleDoc, saved me from having to do the same; also I searched/found/used it when it was the data I needed and my PHB was busy in someone else’s lap… >:-( shameless hussy!

One suggestion: Maybe also add the races from the DMG? Eladrin elves get +1 Int (alongside the basic Elven +2 Dex); Aasimar get +2 Cha, +1 Wis…

1. Kevin Matheny Post author

Thanks for the kind words. And good idea on the updates – I’ll put those in. I should also add in the optional races (Genasi, Goliaths, etc) that have been published in official material.

2. Kevin Matheny Post author

Updated to add in the DMG and Elemental Evil Player’s Companion races. The Eberron stuff feels incomplete, and I don’t have the Sword Coast guide. so I haven’t added those yet. I also found a very nice PDF that includes all of this and more: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzptumctKD_HUmJ3NnFHTFNJQ0k/view. I like my layout a bit better, but his (hers?) has more data, and more races.

(Link found in this Reddit forum post: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/32hku0/dd_5e_race_chart/)

3. John

This is perfect for what I needed for character creation. Let’s be honest Wizards of the cost should publish something like this on their site. Thanks for the hard work.

4. Donny

Perfect! I’ve just recently decided to get back into paper and pen RPGs and I’ve got the players handbook on order but I wanted to go ahead and throw together a couple characters. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

5. David

Hey man! Thanks for this! I’m just getting into D&D and was comparing the Dwarven Cleric I’m making to the ones people make online and I feel like I’ve missed out on a few things. I don’t understand where they get their additional stat bonuses (or disadvantages considering some have -1). I feel like I might be missing something right in front of my eyes. Could you help enlighten me?

1. Kevin Matheny Post author

If you share some links to the characters, I might be able to help you. Or might not; it depends.

6. Parr

Where did you get the Tosculi from? I like the idea of freedom of choice but can’t find much on what racials could go with it.

1. Kevin Matheny Post author

Thanks for the info. I’ll update the sheet when I get a chance – busy week…

1. Shadow Links

Total opposite here. On vacation! Thanks for your work though.

While I’m at it, here’s the stats for Kobold Press’s Midgard Heroes.

Alseid DEX+2 WIS+1
        Centaur, Midguard STR+2 WIS+1
        Dragonkin CHA+2 (Flame STR+1 / Wind INT+1 / Stone CON+1 / Wave WIS+1 / Edjet DEX+1
        Elves and the Elfmarked (Windrunner=Wood Elf, River=High Elf, Elfmarked=Half-elf)
        Gearforged (2 abilities +1)
        Ghoul, Darakhul CON+2 (depends on heritage, Dragonkin STR+1, Dwarf WIS+1, Elf DEX+1, Gnome INT+1, Halfling CHA+1, Human/Elfmarked any+1, Kobold INT+1, Ravenfolk DEX+1, Tiefling CHA+1, Trollkin STR+1)
        Kobold, Midgard DEX+2 INT+1
        Minotaur STR+2 CON+1
        Ravenfolk DEX+2 CHA+1
        Shadow Fey DEX+2 CHA+1
        Trollkin CON+2 (Night Whisper WIS+1, Stonehide STR+1)

1. Kevin Matheny Post author

Hi Shadow,

Thank you but I don’t think that’s free content. I’ll get the source and go from there.